IP Home Port Home
IP Home Port > Administrivia > Announcements > Enhanced User Profiles Now On-Line

Main Menu
Not Logged In
Register
Login
Forum Home
Help
IP Model Info
IP Comparisons
Boat Ads
General Ads

Search
 Search 
Search Usernames

Enhanced User Profiles Now On-Line
 Moderated by: Stuart W, Grainne
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 

AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-23-2014 03:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Stuart W
Dockmaster

Model: IP27 ...
Hull #: 29
Name: Shenandoah ...
DSC ID: 88888888 ...
Facebook: 
LinkedIn: 
All,

I'm happy to announce the launch of Enhanced User Profiles here on IP Home Port.  This is a custom code development designed to help members share more information about both themselves and their boat.  Special thanks go to Bobby (grainne), Frank, Matt (PY26129) and Erik (Erikdj) for their help with testing and feedback.

The new Profile fields added as part of this upgrade focus on you, your boat, and your location(s) :

* Member Photo - a full-size image that delivers more detail than the tiny stock avatar

* Boat Photo - a full-size image of your boat that can be easily viewed by other members

* Sailing Experience - a multi-line text field to let you share your sailing experience

* Work Experience - a multi-line text field to let you share your work experience

* Hobbies / Interests - a multi-line text field to let you share your hobbies and interests

* Model Year, Engine, Prop, Rig, and Keel -  text fields for storing specific information about your boat

* Mods - a multi-line text field to highlight your boat modifications

* Boat History - a multi-line text field to describe your boat's history

* What's In A Name - a multi-line text field for an explanation of your boat's name

* Maps - Lat/Lon (in decimal mode), title, and description for three locations

The Maps will probably be one of the most popular new features - you can store up to three locations and select which of them (one, two, or even all three) will appear in Google Map form as part of your User Profile.  This allows members that are out cruising or migrating with the seasons to enter latitude and longitude values one time and then re-use them as needed.  This is also useful if you have several favorite anchorages that you want to share.  Each map can be configured for their default display mode (map, satellite, or hybrid) as well as zoom level. 

The Enhanced User Profiles continue to make use of the new social media account fields (YouTube, Pinterest, Flickr, Google+, Twitter, and Personal Blog) announced back on November 1.  A few of the existing Profile fields related to Instant Messaging (specifically ICQ, AIM, YM, and MSNM) have been removed because they were largely unused and functionally outdated.

To view a fully-populated sample of the new Enhanced User Profile click HERE.

To view the Help page for these new features click HERE.  For those of you that prefer to learn by doing, just click on 'My Account' in the left-hand menu and select 'Profile' to access the Profile editor.  Either way I recommend reading the Important Notes in the following message ...

Be advised that there are a *lot* of moving parts associated with the Enhanced User Profile feature, so if you think that you've found a bug or just can't figure something out please send me a PM. The bugs will be fixed and the most common questions will be shared via the forum as FAQs.

This is just one of the new features being added to IP Home Port in celebration of our 15th anniversary in November 2013 - stay tuned for further announcements.  As always if you have a specific question or comment regarding this website please feel free to contact Bobby Ward (username Grainne) or myself by PM or e-mail.

Enjoy!

Posted: 01-23-2014 03:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Stuart W
Dockmaster

Facebook: 
LinkedIn: 
Important Notes About The Enhanced User Profile Features
  • Be sure to click [Save] at the bottom of the Edit Profile page to store your changes once you've made them.
  • The new Profile fields are all elective - you are not required to make entries in any of them.  In many cases if you don't make an entry then the label for that particular won't appear in your Profile display, but others are left as placeholders to maintain a more pleasing and readable screen format when someone else views your profile. The most obvious example of this is the table of information regarding your boat - if you do not have a valid IP Model entered in the 'IP Model' field then that entire section of the enhanced profile display will not appear.
  • Most of the fields accept free-form text while others use drop-downs for data entry in order to ensure proper formatting - this is critical for future enhancements.
  • To view another user's Profile simply click on their user name and select "View Profile".  This method has not changed but the display screen that results has changed quite a bit to take advantage of the new fields.
  • The map coordinates MUST be entered in DECIMAL mode - this is a limitation of the Google code used to display the maps.
To find the Latitude and Longitude for any given location just follow these three steps :
1) Find the location in your browser using Google Maps
2) Right-click on the specific location
3) Select "What's Here" in the drop-down that appears
The lat/lon pair will be displayed in decimal form in the search field just above the map.  Pay special attention to negative signs, otherwise you'll be mapping the wrong hemisphere ...

If you need help converting a known Latitude and Longitude pair from DMS (Degree/Minute/Second) to Decimal try this website : LINK
  • The Enhanced User Profiles, like most areas of the IP Home Port website, are restricted to 'Members Only' access.  If non-members, whether human or bot, attempt to access them they will be re-directed to the login/registration page.
  • The existing Terms Of Use for IP Home Port (LINK) apply to all of these new profile fields just like they always have for forum postings, auto-signatures, etc.  IP Home Port remains strictly non-commercial so the promotion of any product, service, or company via your Profile page is not allowed.
  • Be sure to click [Save] at the bottom of the Edit Profile page to store your changes once you've made them.  Yes, I know that I already mentioned this but it bears repeating ... ;)

Posted: 02-10-2014 07:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Skipperr100

Model: IP31 ...
Hull #: 136 ...
Name: Jeanne ...
I really appreciate your efforts and this site. On my profile, I have changed the port location to Destin,Fl. but on the registry page it still shows Orange Beach. I dont know how to change it there, can you tell me how? thanks.

Posted: 02-10-2014 08:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Stuart W
Dockmaster

Facebook: 
LinkedIn: 
Skipperr100 wrote: I really appreciate your efforts and this site. On my profile, I have changed the port location to Destin,Fl. but on the registry page it still shows Orange Beach. I dont know how to change it there, can you tell me how? thanks.
I just took care of it for you ... thanks for the update!

Current time is 09:44 am
IP Home Port > Administrivia > Announcements > Enhanced User Profiles Now On-Line

Celebrating Our
25th Anniversary

Gallery Menu
IP Home Port Gallery
View All Photos
View My Photos
Upload Photos
Edit My Gallery

Visit The Factory

IPs For Sale

IP Home Port
Yacht World
Sailboat Listings
Boat Trader

This Website Is Not Affiliated With Nor Operated By Island Packet and Seaward Yachts, LLC
---------------------------
All Trademarks And Copyrights Remain The Property Of Their Respective Owners
Your Usage Of This Website Signifies Your Acceptance Of The Terms Of Use

UltraBB 1.2.01 Copyright © 2008-2024 Jim n Chris - PHP version 8.3.4
Remainder Of Website Copyright © 1998-2024 by Stuart Williams