IP Home Port Home
IP Home Port > Administrivia > Announcements > IP Engine And Prop Data Now On-Line

Main Menu
Not Logged In
Register
Login
Forum Home
Help
IP Model Info
IP Comparisons
Boat Ads
General Ads

Search
 Search 
Search Usernames

IP Engine And Prop Data Now On-Line
 Moderated by: Stuart W, Grainne
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 

AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-26-2014 07:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Stuart W
Dockmaster

Model: IP27 ...
Hull #: 29
Name: Shenandoah ...
DSC ID: 88888888 ...
Facebook: 
LinkedIn: 
All,

There have been a lot of questions lately re: prop pitch, shaft diameters, transmission ratios, etc. (they seem to come in waves!) so I decided to dig out my spreadsheet from IP Engineering circa 2009 with all of that information for the various models.  I used this spreadsheet to code a new table for the IP Comparisons page (LINK).  Select 'Engine & Prop' in the Compare: drop-down menu to view this new resource.

There's no data at this time for four models (IP26 Mk I, IP26 Mk II, IP360, and IP520) but I'll reach out to the fine folks in Largo to see if I can fill in some of the blanks.

Important :
  • Some models had more than one complement of engine/trans/prop listed in the spreadsheet (whether due to factory options or year-over-year changes). In these cases I added separate lines to the table to reflect the possible configurations.

• Just about anything (engine, transmission, prop, etc.) might have been changed by previous owners in the years since your boat left the factory as part of an upgrade or repair effort.

• It's always possible that the factory may have made temporary substitutions with equivalent or better parts due to product availability issues with their vendor (i.e. Yanmar) that aren't reflected in this table.
For these reasons there is no substitute for physically verifying what is actually installed on your boat before ordering replacement parts, service kits, manuals, etc.

If you have any questions or comments please let me know ...

Posted: 10-26-2014 08:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Unruly Seahorse

Stuart.  To help round out a blank spot in your data, my IP38 came with a Prowell 19x12.  Still running it and it works great.  Repitched it a few years ago to around a 10 inch pitch which gives me a better top end, around 3400 RPM.  Used to be around 3100.

Posted: 10-26-2014 08:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Art Richard

Use caution when selecting a prop based on the original IP prop choice. I have found that several IP models were over-proper by the factory. Running at high speed with too much prop will reductive life of your engine. The problem will show up in excess wear/failure of the bearings on the crankshaft and/or the connecting rods. If your IP will not reach the Yanmar specified max RPM at full throttle, your boat is over-proped.

Posted: 10-26-2014 10:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Stuart W
Dockmaster

Model: IP27 ...
Hull #: 29
Name: Shenandoah ...
DSC ID: 88888888 ...
Facebook: 
LinkedIn: 
Jerry,

Thanks for the information.  Was that a factory-installed Prowell or was it added later?

Posted: 10-27-2014 05:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Unruly Seahorse

Believe it was factory installed.  Boat did not have a spare fixed pitched prop when I got her 10 years ago so I'm thinking the Prowell was original.  And it was overpropped as mentioned by Art.  Should have been 10 inches vs 12.

Posted: 10-27-2014 06:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Grainne
Super Moderator

Model: IP350 ...
Hull #: 57
Name: Gra'inne - Owner till Feb 2015 ...
Jerry:

Suspect that the boat as delivered from the Factory had a fixed 3 blade prop. The prop was most likely replaced at commissioning or at some later date by a previous owner.

https://ip350grainne.blogspot.com/
https://www.svgrainne.net

Posted: 10-27-2014 07:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Unruly Seahorse

If so, wish they had left the fixed three blade on board.  Wouldn't mind a spare.

Posted: 10-27-2014 10:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Grainne
Super Moderator

Model: IP350 ...
Hull #: 57
Name: Gra'inne - Owner till Feb 2015 ...
Agree.

Know of several incidents over the past few years where people with folding props had problems and or total failure without the spare on board.  Once was on an around the world trip!

Worked on a 38 with a dead Kiwi prop and at least we had the old prop onboard to use.  Ended up ditching the Kiwi as cost to refurbish was extremely high.

https://ip350grainne.blogspot.com/
https://www.svgrainne.net

Current time is 07:32 am
IP Home Port > Administrivia > Announcements > IP Engine And Prop Data Now On-Line

Celebrating Our
25th Anniversary

Gallery Menu
IP Home Port Gallery
View All Photos
View My Photos
Upload Photos
Edit My Gallery

Visit The Factory

IPs For Sale

IP Home Port
Yacht World
Sailboat Listings
Boat Trader

This Website Is Not Affiliated With Nor Operated By Island Packet and Seaward Yachts, LLC
---------------------------
All Trademarks And Copyrights Remain The Property Of Their Respective Owners
Your Usage Of This Website Signifies Your Acceptance Of The Terms Of Use

UltraBB 1.2.01 Copyright © 2008-2024 Jim n Chris - PHP version 8.3.3
Remainder Of Website Copyright © 1998-2024 by Stuart Williams