View single post by Stuart W
 Posted: 01-23-2014 03:02 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Stuart W

All,

I'm happy to announce the launch of Enhanced User Profiles here on IP Home Port.  This is a custom code development designed to help members share more information about both themselves and their boat.  Special thanks go to Bobby (grainne), Frank, Matt (PY26129) and Erik (Erikdj) for their help with testing and feedback.

The new Profile fields added as part of this upgrade focus on you, your boat, and your location(s) :

* Member Photo - a full-size image that delivers more detail than the tiny stock avatar

* Boat Photo - a full-size image of your boat that can be easily viewed by other members

* Sailing Experience - a multi-line text field to let you share your sailing experience

* Work Experience - a multi-line text field to let you share your work experience

* Hobbies / Interests - a multi-line text field to let you share your hobbies and interests

* Model Year, Engine, Prop, Rig, and Keel -  text fields for storing specific information about your boat

* Mods - a multi-line text field to highlight your boat modifications

* Boat History - a multi-line text field to describe your boat's history

* What's In A Name - a multi-line text field for an explanation of your boat's name

* Maps - Lat/Lon (in decimal mode), title, and description for three locations

The Maps will probably be one of the most popular new features - you can store up to three locations and select which of them (one, two, or even all three) will appear in Google Map form as part of your User Profile.  This allows members that are out cruising or migrating with the seasons to enter latitude and longitude values one time and then re-use them as needed.  This is also useful if you have several favorite anchorages that you want to share.  Each map can be configured for their default display mode (map, satellite, or hybrid) as well as zoom level. 

The Enhanced User Profiles continue to make use of the new social media account fields (YouTube, Pinterest, Flickr, Google+, Twitter, and Personal Blog) announced back on November 1.  A few of the existing Profile fields related to Instant Messaging (specifically ICQ, AIM, YM, and MSNM) have been removed because they were largely unused and functionally outdated.

To view a fully-populated sample of the new Enhanced User Profile click HERE.

To view the Help page for these new features click HERE.  For those of you that prefer to learn by doing, just click on 'My Account' in the left-hand menu and select 'Profile' to access the Profile editor.  Either way I recommend reading the Important Notes in the following message ...

Be advised that there are a *lot* of moving parts associated with the Enhanced User Profile feature, so if you think that you've found a bug or just can't figure something out please send me a PM. The bugs will be fixed and the most common questions will be shared via the forum as FAQs.

This is just one of the new features being added to IP Home Port in celebration of our 15th anniversary in November 2013 - stay tuned for further announcements.  As always if you have a specific question or comment regarding this website please feel free to contact Bobby Ward (username Grainne) or myself by PM or e-mail.

Enjoy!

Close Window